Sunday, April 5, 2009

Rough Theatre

From my own perspective as someone who has worked in the theatre this article seemed to hit a lot of good points. I agree with most if not all that it says. In summary I feel that it is saying how art should be seen, with a certain amount of 'humanity' to it, a certain amount of flaw, mistake and general mock up. In an age that it seems most people prefer the digital style art, even in photography and film making, it detracts from the realness of what is capture by the camera. For me there has always been something magical about the days when cinema was young and there was no special effects, just men spending long hours cutting and editing. Special effects where drawn or painted, or stop motion, or props, none of it was digital, and it was glorious.


I remember watching Metropolis and being amazed at the roughness of the sets, the over acting, the make up, the humanity of the film. The same with Nosferatu, I wondered how they made such pieces without being able to add effects, I love the look and feel of the grainy, dark, barely visual visuals. And I wanted more. There is room for humanity in films, there is room for mistakes and obvious camera work and shoddy editing. There's room for over acting, bad make up and poor lighting. If only because we can see that some care and love has been put into the movie, that the person making it loves it, has enjoyed making it, shows us that it is not some mechanical sterile thing but a loved piece of work.


No comments:

Post a Comment