Sunday, April 5, 2009

Projections of Sound on Image

Sound. If its one thing that I seem to have no ear for, yet am lucky enough for things to fall into place with, its sound. Whenever I've editing something, things just seem to fall into place for me. I can pick a good tune to go along with whats on screen, but the thought of it bridging a gap between cuts of two separate things is something that I'd not really thought about before. I'd seen it, or rather, heard it in different films. The whistle of a train and harmonica in 'Once upon a time in the West' is one of my favourites, but thats not to seperate shots, its the same image, why don't these things happen more often? We get juxtaposition of shots that arent the same image, why not sounds?


This is something worth investigating further, can you tell a story with just sounds? No dialogue? Just one shot, with various sounds that tell what is happening. I have a shot in mind.


A train station, the camera slowly zooms toward a lone glass sitting on a table outside the bar of a cafe. We hear the sounds of the station, the train coming in, the people, the announcement, we may hear a conversation, but nothing of importance. What story can be told from this? A love story? A crime? Adventure? Perhaps even horror, depending on what we hear. Maybe I'll try this one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment